Tuesday 7 August 2012

Vanity bag to handbag in 2 seconds flat!

Ok so I can't really take any credit in terms of being "crafty" in this post but I like to think I am resourceful and can see the hidden potential in  things especially when they are just too pretty to spend their life in a closet without ever having the hope of seeing the light of day...

So on the same trip to Australia where I discovered the cotton rice bags (click her to go to post) I was asked by my lovely aunt upon my leaving in the form of typical Sri Lanka generosity what I would like to take home with me, I obviously polietly said I didn't need anything but of course that was brushed aside. On arrival I had fallen for a vanity bag my aunt had tucked away in her fabulous walk in closet (I would have taken that if I could have!!!) and I said to my aunt that if she didn't use it and wasn't attached to it that actually that was what I would like. A little confused but thrilled to give me something I clearly had formed an attachment to my aunt gave it too me.

The bag is quilted inside with a wipe clean material and also had some removable cardboard inserts which kept it rigid whilst in its life as a vanity/makeup bag but these were quickly removed and now I have myself a fabulous, huge Miss Marple esque bag! It is a much loved addition to my wardrobe and accessories collection and in the style of many of the designer bags I have named it after my aunt.

Floral vanity bag
My lovely 'Aunty S' quilted bag

2 comments:

  1. Quilted and carpet bags are my FAVE! One of my friends grandmothers just passed away and she gave me one of hers. They are treasured for sure and deserve a good name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love carpet bags! Last year or the year before they seemed to come back into fashion and there were some lovely ones on the highstreet. I got a couple from charity shops for £2.00 rather than the £30 plus they were charging on the highstreet. The bigger ones make great weekend bags. My friend and I actually share a carpet bag we bought for 50p from a jumble sale, I have had it for about 6 months now so this weekend sees the handover :)

      Thanks for your comment and reading my post :)

      Delete